Oct 122010

Before you start working and getting paid in New Zealand you’ll need to get yourself a tax reference number which is called an IRD number.  Your tax number is issued by the Inland Revenue and is easy to get, assuming you already have a working holiday visa, or other visa that allows you to work.  This is the third in the series of Getting Started in New Zealand.

If you go to New Zealand Post to set up your bank account or anything else you can get, complete and submit an IRD (tax number) at the same time.  The forms are also available from the Inland Revenue (link below).  Before you complete the forms you will need to have the following documents (or their equivalent) :

  • Passport with relevant working visa, and supporting documentation (e.g. residency documentation)
  • Drivers License or original offer of employment

The easiest way to do this is to go to an office of the New Zealand Post as they will check your documentation and send the application off.

It will take around 7-10 days to get your IRD number and a letter will be sent out to the address you provided.  If you have just arrived in New Zealand and are in a hurry, or have moved on (e.g. from a hostel) you can always call them up to see if your number is available earlier.

If you haven’t read them already, you should read our articles about How to Set up Your Bank Account in New Zealand, and Which is The Best Prepaid SIM card for Your Mobile Phone in New Zealand.


IRD Number Applications – New Zealand Inland Revenue

 Leave a Reply

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>